- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1-1/2 pounds fully cooked G&W andouille sausage links, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- Hot cooked rice
- 3 green onions, chopped
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; rub over chicken. In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil in batches; remove chicken from pan.
- Add remaining oil to the same pan; stir in flour until blended. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until browned (do not burn). Add onion, peppers and celery; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Gradually add water and stock. Stir in the sausage, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, chicken and the remaining Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is very tender.
- Remove chicken from pan; cool slightly. Skim fat from gumbo and discard bay leaves. Shred chicken and return to gumbo; heat through. Discard bones. Serve gumbo over rice; top with green onions. Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled gumbo freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Recipe courtesy of Taste of Home https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-and-andouille-gumbo/